I love a good sandwich and I may have mentioned that I love spicy things. I’m a huge fan of buffalo sauce, whether it’s on cauliflower wings, in a pasta salad, or used as a dipping sauce. It’s just a great burst of flavor. I’ve recently been using a product called hempeh, instead of tempeh which is made from soy. Hempeh is made from hemp and it’s just as delicious and can be used in place of anything that you would use tempeh for. It’s great to sub in if you are trying to avoid soy and are looking for other meat free alternatives.
On the buffalo hempeh sandwich I created, I added coleslaw to it which adds a bit of a cooling element to the heat. A little bit of spice goes a long way to livening up those tastebuds. It’s a nice balance of flavors with a bit of a kick, which makes for a filling and delicious sandwich.
The only place that I’ve been able to currently find hempeh for this sandwich is at Whole Foods Market. I’m sure that it is also available online for purchase. If you can’t find it, by all means just use regular tempeh, it’ll still be hella tasty.
As we are in the middle of May we’re going to be getting into grilling season here soon. I’ve got a few ideas for some plant based grill recipes that I look forward to sharing. It’s been so rainy here recently I just haven’t been able to get outside to make anything on the grill yet. Anywho, I’m getting sidetracked here. On to the buffalo hempeh sandwich recipe!
- gluten free buns
- 1 6oz package of hempeh, cut into 8 strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices of avocado, 2 slices per sandwich
- 1/2 stick of celery, sliced into long angular slices
- 1/4 cup radish sprouts
- 2 tsp vegan mayo
- 1 cup of bagged coleslaw mix
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo, (I used Just Mayo)
- 2 tbsp white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar, or white sugar
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Buffalo Sauce
- 1/2 cup Franks Red Hot (or hotsauce of your choosing)
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp plant based butter (I used Miyokos brand)
- Start the coleslaw first because you’ll want to chill it in the fridge so the ingredients soak into the slaw. In a medium sized bowl add slaw mix, white onion, vegan mayo, white vinegar, coconut sugar, sea salt, pepper and stir till well combined. Place in the fridge immediately.
- Start on the buffalo sauce; in a medium sauce pan add the hot sauce, garlic, parsley and butter and stir to combine. Cook on medium heat and bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer and cook for 3 more minutes and put heat on low, (lowest setting just to keep it warm.)
- While the sauce is cooking you can cook the hempeh. Over medium heat in a frying pan heat olive oil and add hempeh, cook till golden brown about 4-5 minutes per side. Once the hempeh is done cooking place it in the pot with the buffalo sauce which is on low and thouroughly coat the pieces of hempeh with the sauce. Let them sit in there for a minute or two.
- Toast the buns for the sandwiches, once toasted add a little vegan mayo to the top bun. To assemble the sandwich, use tongs and grab four pieces of hempeh per sandwich and place on the bun, next add the pieces of celery, then the avocado, pile on the slaw and top with some spicy radish sprouts. It’s time to dig in and enjoy!
© 2020 Copyright